Living and accommodation


Australian Academy can assist students to make arrangements for accommodation during their time at the college. In some cases, a friend or relation can provide accommodation for the student. If they are situated close to the transport links or college itself, then this would be a very beneficial arrangement. It is always best to make sure that all your accommodation needs are set in place well before you arrive in Australia.

Our helpful and informative Student Support Officer is always on hand with useful advice, updates and guidance as to the various types of student accommodation available. They are also very helpful at managing any changes required due to altered circumstances and can take the worry and stress out of these situations. There are many options for living in Australia while you study. For example:

1. Home stay / Private board

This is a popular option for many students. They will live alongside an Australian family or individual in their private home. It is easy to find a ‘Home Stay Provider’ in Australia and you can decide to opt for Full Board/Part Board or Board in Exchange. Each student will have their own personal needs and preferences. Usually, a student will have their own fully furnished room, several meals a day provided and the costs include most bills except for telephone and internet access. If you are lucky, some providers even offer a laundry service. It offers a very comfortable way of becoming part of the community and making the student feel instantly at home. Costs are around AU $170 – $220 per week.

2. Hostels & guesthouses​​

A more temporary option for accommodation, a hostel or guesthouse can cost around $25.00 per day or up to AU $400 per week. At times the student may have to share the facilities and occasionally, rooms. Meals are usually provided.

3. Private leasing / rentals​​

A wider and more flexible choice for some students, the rental market has a varied list of properties available. If you prefer to have your own privacy, enjoy a more independent lifestyle or share with friends or dependents, then renting a flat or house as a private tenant can be a sensible option. The challenges with this type of accommodation is that the costs are higher if you live alone. You will be responsible for all the rental and utilities as well as managing connections, water usage and electricity. Depending on the area you chose, rents can vary greatly. As you move closer to the city centre, properties become more expensive to rent.


1. Childcare

Melbourne boasts a range of excellent child care services. They are much in demand and can sometimes have lengthy waiting lists. If you require child care for your family, it is wise to get in touch as early as possible about registering your child. There is further information on various early learning centers, private nannies/babysitters, child care centres and kindergartens at

3. Religion

The Private school sector have numerous faith schools, however some are non-denominational. All Victorian State schools are non-denominational.

2. Schooling / Education providers

Education in Australia is provided by three bodies. State Government (State/Public) operated schools number 1613, Catholic Faith Education (Private) has 484 schools and the Independent Schools Sector (Private) have 692 schools.

You can find further details at the Victorian Department of Education & Training Schools website It has a wide range of advice and guidance about navigating the school system for your children. It has information on curriculums and programs as well as virtual school tours which are very helpful if you are not yet arrived in the country. Most schools charge fees and a uniform is compulsory.

4. Gender

Most Victorian Government Schools are co-educational however there are some single sex Government schools at the Secondary level. In the Private sector there are co-educational, as well as single-sex schools, at both Primary and Secondary level.

5. Starting and finishing age

Victorian Government schools welcome enrolment from children who turn five (5) years of age by April 30 of the year in which they start school. Most begin taking enrolments in May for the following year. Private schools set their own policies regarding starting age and enrolment dates. School is compulsory in Victoria for all children between the ages of 6 and 15 years inclusive (unless an exemption is granted).

6. Schooling levels

Children in Victoria have one year in Prep; six years in Primary school (Year 1 to Year 6) and six years in Secondary school (Year 7 to Year 12). Some schools offer a Pre-Prep year. Not many Government schools are combined Primary and Secondary schools, but some Catholic schools are, as well as many Private schools.

7. School terms

For Current term dates please visit:

For a full list of Victorian Public Holidays, see:


A helpful, informative book packed full of Australian history, culture and society. It outlines the values of the Australian people and is a really worthwhile read for newcomers to the country. It is available in several languages and you can download it here: Living in Australia Book