Visa requirement

Applying for your student visa

A student visa is legally required before you travel to Australia. Visas are issued by the Department of Immigation. How to migrate to Australia? Requirements for your visa will differ for each country, as will your chosen level of study. For more information visit

Overseas student health cover (OSHC)

Is a mandatory requirement that international students have OSHC for the duration of their course. These costs must be paid prior to the issue of a student visa. OSHC is health insurance that covers doctors visits and some hospital treatments, as well as ambulance cover and some medicines. For more information see or your OSHC provider. Australian Academy can help in arranging your OSHC.

Genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement

This safeguarding measure ensures that all student visas are used as intended. Maintaining ongoing residency in Australia is not permitted on a student visa. How to migrate to Australia? All student visa applicants are under the jurisdiction of the GTE requirement. Personal circumstances and immigration history will be considered by the Visa Officer. The requirement is not designed to exclude students who, after study, go on to apply to become Australian permanent residents.

Paid work in Australia

Students in receipt of a visa are permitted to work for a limited number of hours under Australian immigration laws. The current limit is 40 hours per fortnight during a study period, and full-time hours during study-breaks. Under no circumstances should students rely on income earned in Australia to pay tuition fees.

ESOS framework

Upheld by the Australian Government, the ESOS Framework is legislation which promotes quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. The laws include the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2018. Australian Academy must fulfil the obligations set out in the ESOS Framework under the Act. For a full description of ESOS Framework, download the factsheet here:

Bringing your family

It is a requirement for school age dependants to be enrolled in school in Australia. School fees must be paid and school is mandatory until 16 years of age. It is optional to attend Year 11 and 12. Please check first with the Australian Department of Education or an Australian Diplomatic Mission in your country, as there may be restrictions.

Tuition protection service

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government which assists international students whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study. The TPS ensures that international students can either:

  • complete their studies in another course or with another education provider.


  • receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees.

In the unlikely event your education provider is unable to:

  • Deliver a course you have paid for
  • Does not meet their obligations to either offer you an alternative course that you accept.
  • Pay you a refund of your unspent prepaid tuition fees (this is called a provider’s ‘default obligations’)

The TPS will assist you in finding an alternative course or offer help with claiming a refund if a suitable alternative is not found. For further information, please visit:

Further visa information

See the Australian Government immigration page for more information at